Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas produced when heating systems are not working correctly. You can't smell, taste or see carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can build up inside a building because of incomplete combustion and cause severe sickness and even death.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Sudden flu-like illness
- Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fluttering or throbbing heartbeat
- Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Get the victim out of the building and into fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or emergency medical help at once.
- Get everyone else out of the building.
- Open the windows.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms and replace them every five years.
- Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
- Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances, flues, vents and chimneys checked regularly.