Please call us immediately if you think you may have an electric or natural gas emergency.

  • Emergency procedures Electric emergencies
    800-450-7240 Report an electric outage
  • Gas emergencies Gas emergencies - Get out of the building immediately.
    800-450-7280

Additional information

Natural gas leaks

Natural gas has a distinct, pungent odor so it is easy to detect. Leaking gas can cause an explosion and fire.

If you smell a weak odor of natural gas:

  • Open the windows.
  • Check for an extinguished pilot light.
  • If a pilot light is out, wait for the gas odor to go away before relighting.

If you can't find the source of the leak:

  • Get everyone out at once.
  • DO NOT use the telephone or a lighter.
  • DO NOT turn any electrical switches or lights on or off.
  • Go to a neighbor's and call WPS immediately at 800-450-7280.

If you smell a strong odor of natural gas:

  • Open the windows
  • Get everyone out at once.
  • DO NOT use the telephone or a lighter.
  • DO NOT turn any electrical switches or lights on or off.
  • Go to a neighbor's and call WPS immediately at 800-450-7280.

Back to top

Electrical shocks and fires

Electricity can cause dangerous or fatal shocks. A shock occurs when electricity goes through a person's body. Electricity can also cause fires when appliances, switches, wiring and outlets are defective or improperly used.

If someone is being shocked with a household current:

  • Don't touch the victim unless the power is off.
  • Unplug the appliance, or turn the power off at the main control area.
  • If you can't turn off the power, use a dry wooden broom handle or dry clothing to separate the victim from the power source.
  • Call 911 or get emergency medical assistance.
  • If the victim is not breathing, perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
  • If the victim is conscious, keep them calm. Lay them on their back. Elevate their feet. Cover them with a blanket.

If someone is being shocked with a current from an outdoor high voltage line:

  • Don't try to separate the victim from the power source.
  • Don't touch the victim unless you are absolutely certain the victim is not in contact with electrical wire.
  • Call 911 or get emergency help and medical assistance.

If you have an electrical fire:

  • Unplug the burning or smoking appliance.
  • Get everyone out at once.
  • If the fire is small, use a CO2 or dry powder fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire.
  • Call 911 or the fire department. Tell the dispatcher your name, address, and that you have an electrical fire.

Back to top


WEC Energy Group