Here's your chance to earn credits on air conditioning and water heating costs.
With Cool Credits, you can earn credits on your electric bills for allowing your air conditioning and/or electric water heater to be occasionally shut down for short periods. You'll earn $8 a month in credits from June through September for your air conditioning, and all year for your water heater at $2 a month.
A small, remote-controlled switch is installed free of charge on your central air conditioner, or electric water heater, or both. If a power crunch occurs, your air conditioner and/or water heater will be automatically shut off or cycled on and off, without interfering with the rest of your electrical appliances.
Turn-offs or cycles most often occur in June through September, generally in the afternoons and early evenings. They may last only an hour, but never more than 8 hours in a day, and usually only happen 8 or 10 days in the year.
Cool Credits Choices
- Central Air Conditioner - Load Shed and Cycling (Best Choice)
- Your air conditioner may be turned off for a continuous period of time; 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for example.
- Turn-off will likely occur in the afternoon and early evening and last between 1 and 8 hours. The maximum turn-off time is 8 hours per day.
- Turn-off is not likely to occur between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m., or on weekends.
- $8 credit in months of June, July, August and September, for a total annual credit of $32.
- Central Air Conditioner - Cycling Only
- With cycling, your central air conditioner may be turned off for a period of time, such as 15 minutes of each half hour, after which it automatically is turned back on. This automatic cycling is most likely to occur in the afternoon and early evening and last between 1 and 8 hours.
- Turn-off is not likely to occur between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m. or on weekends.
- Air conditioner cycling is not very noticeable, because the unit will still be on for a portion of each hour.
- No bill credit.
- Electric Water Heater - Load Shed
- Your electric water heater may be turned off for a maximum of 8 hours per day.
- Load shed is most likely to occur on hot summer days but could occur at any time during the day.
- Because hot water is held in your water heater's storage tank for your continued use, turn-off usually is not noticeable.
- $2 credit each month for 12 months, a total annual credit of $24.