Natural gas is one of the most versatile, dependable sources of energy. Compared to other fuels, natural gas offers many advantages:
- Economical - Natural gas remains one of the best values in today's volatile energy market. With natural gas in your home, it's possible to save as much as 25 to 40% over propane or fuel oil. And, because natural gas appliances are so efficient, you'll save on overall energy costs.
- Convenient - Natural gas is delivered directly to your home via underground pipelines. You never have to worry about running low or storage tanks.
- Safe - Natural gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless and non-toxic. A special odorant is added to help identify gas leaks. Unlike propane, natural gas is lighter than air, which means it vents easier if a leak occurs.
- Abundant - It's estimated there is a 70-year reserve of natural gas in the lower 48 states at current production levels. More than 97 percent of our nation's natural gas comes from North America.
- Efficient - Natural gas heating systems and appliances have the highest
"total energy efficiency," which translates into the best energy value.
- Gas water heaters can produce twice as much hot water as electric, at 30 percent less cost.
- Gas stoves offer the fastest, most precise cooking temperature.
- Gas dryers dry items faster, so they use less energy and are gentler on your clothes.
- Clean - Natural gas is a clean-burning fuel compared to other fossil fuels such as coal and oil. Choosing gas is better for the environment, because it helps avoid an increase in pollutants, such as greenhouse gas emissions, acid rain, smog, solid waste and water pollution.