Please call us immediately if you think you may have an electric or natural gas emergency.

  • Emergency Procedures Electric Emergencies
    800-450-7240 Report an Electric Outage
  • Gas Emergencies Gas Emergencies - Get out of the building immediately.
    800-450-7280

Additional Information

Natural Gas Leaks and Fires

Natural gas has a distinct, pungent odor so it is easy to detect. Leaking gas can cause an explosion and fire.

If you smell natural gas:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • DO NOT use the telephone, a flashlight or any electrical switches.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call WPS immediately.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • Go to a neighbor's house and call 911.
  • If the fire is small, an adult can try to extinguish it using an all-purpose fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire. If you can't quickly extinguish the fire, get out and call 911. Do not try to extinguish a large fire.

When you call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.

Back to Top

Electrical Shocks and/or Fires

Used correctly, electricity is safe. But used in the wrong way, electricity can cause a shock. A shock is when home electricity flows through a person or animal, and can cause serious injury and even death.

If someone is shocked:

  • DO NOT touch the person.
  • If possible, unplug the appliance that is causing the shock.
  • Call 911 immediately.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call 911.
  • Never put water on an electrical fire.

When you call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.

Back to Top


WEC Energy Group