You or someone you know may be eligible for help with home heating bills. The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) is a federally-funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home heating costs. The amount of heating assistance benefit depends on the household's size, income and heating costs.
Income qualification for WHEAP is currently based on 60% of the state median income level over a three-month period.
You may qualify for assistance if your gross income for the last three months is less than the amount shown below for your family size.
|Household Size||60% of State Median Income|
A few notes about WHEAP energy assistance:
- It's a one-time yearly benefit payment
- Benefits are normally available October 1-May 15
- You do not have to pay the money back
- It is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating your home
- Your heating assistance benefit may be sent directly to your fuel supplier
In addition to energy assistance, WHEAP provides the following assistance programs:
- Electric Assistance (Non-Heating) helps eligible households pay a portion of non-heating electric energy costs.
- Crisis Assistance provides assistance to households that have no heat, received a disconnect notice from their heating fuel dealer, or are nearly out of heating fuel and do not have any way to pay for their heating needs. Proactive non-emergency assistance is also available through the entire year to avoid future emergencies.
Winter Weatherization Program
In these difficult economic times, improving your home's energy efficiency can make a big difference. If you meet WHEAP income eligibility guidelines, you may also qualify for assistance in caulking, weather-stripping and insulation.
|Brown||Dept. of Human Services||920-448-6460|
|Calumet||Energy Services, Inc.||800-585-1795|
|Door||We Are HOPE, Inc.||920-743-7273|
|Florence||Dept. of Human Services||715-528-3475|
|Fond du Lac||Energy Services, Inc.||800-506-5596|
|Kewaunee||Energy Services, Inc.||800-506-5596|
|Langlade||Dept. of Human Services||715-627-6500|
|Lincoln||Dept. of Human Services||715-536-6200|
|Manitowoc||Dept. of Human Services||920-683-2888|
|Marathon||Energy Services, Inc.||715-842-3111|
|Marinette||Dept. of Human Services||715-732-7740|
|Oconto||Dept. of Human Services||920-834-7000 or 920-834-7038|
|Oneida||Dept. of Human Services||715-362-5695|
|Outagamie||Energy Services, Inc.||800-506-5596|
|Portage||Energy Services, Inc.||715-344-5999|
|Shawano||Dept. of Human Services||715-526-4740|
|Sheboygan||Dept. of Human Services||920-459-3207 or 800-596-1919|
|Vilas||Dept. of Human Services||715-479-3668|
|Waupaca||Energy Services, Inc.||800-922-2393|
|Winnebago||Energy Services, Inc.||800-506-5596|
|Lac du Flambeau Tribal Office||715-588-4235|
|Potawatomi Tribal||Please contact your local Energy Assistance office.|
|Mole Lake/Sokaogon Chippewa Tribe||715-478-7600|
|Oneida Nation Social Services||920-490-6800|
If you are having trouble paying your bills, please call us at 800-450-7260.