Natural gas is an important part of everyday life. So it's nice to know that you can rely on WPS to keep your home comfortable.
You can also count on us to provide the information you need to manage your energy costs. A good way to start is by understanding the rates you see on your monthly energy bill.
- Who is this rate for?
- How reliable is my natural gas service?
- How is the natural gas I use measured?
- What charges are involved?
Who is this rate for?
The Natural Gas Rate for Residential Service applies to customers who live in:
- single-family homes, or
- apartments with separate gas meters
If you live in an apartment, condominium or other building where two or more units are served by one meter, the Natural Gas for Businesses in Wisconsin Rates applies.
How reliable is my natural gas service?
Natural gas is available to you whenever you need it. The only exception — as with any gas service — is when unexpected events occur (such as a contractor digging into a gas line), which make it impossible to deliver gas to your home. When this happens, WPS responds immediately to restore service.
How is the natural gas I use measured?
The amount of gas flowing through your meter is measured in hundred cubic feet (CCF). But you are charged based on the average heat content of the gas delivered to your home — or the number of therms you use. One therm is equal to 100,000 British Thermal Units (Btus). One Btu represents the amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit at sea level.
Your bill shows how much gas (CCF) you used for the past month and a calculation that converts the amount of gas used (CCF) to reflect the heat content of the gas (therms). The heat content of gas may vary. WPS determines the heat content of gas received from our supplier during the 30 days preceding your last meter reading date. The result is shown on your monthly bill.
What charges are involved?
Two types of charges appear on your monthly gas bill:
- Local Distribution Service - showing what it costs to deliver gas to your home or business, and
- Gas Supply Service - showing what it costs WPS to buy gas and transport it over the interstate pipeline system
Local Distribution Service
Local Distribution Service is made up of Fixed and Volumetric charges.
The Fixed charge covers many costs of safe, reliable delivery of natural gas. These costs exist regardless of how much gas a customer uses. For example, fixed costs include:
- The gas piping through which gas flows
- Labor and supplies required to maintain gas mains
- Labor and supplies to read meters
- Qualified employees to serve you and respond to gas emergencies
The Fixed Charge is the same for all customers with similar gas use.
The Volumetric charge on your bill varies each month based on how many therms of gas you use.
Local Distribution Service Charges on Your Gas Bill
|Type of Natural Gas Service||Type of Customer||Fixed Charge||Volumetric Charge|
|Single-family home or
apartment with its own meter
|$7.00 per month||$0.2347 per therm|
|$14.00 per month||$0.2347 per therm|
*If your seasonal facility is used during the summer months, you'll be billed for gas service May through October. If your seasonal facility is used during the winter months, you'll be billed for gas service November through April. Your gas service may remain connected all year. Any incidental gas use during the "off season" will be included on your first bill of the following season. If you use more than 100 therms of gas during the off-season, WPS may send you a bill during the off-season.
Gas Supply Service
Gas Supply Service is the purchase, transportation and storage of gas, as well as the management of gas supplies for our customers. It includes:
- Gas Supply Acquisition Service - the purchase and management of gas supplies, as well as the carrying costs of gas bought in the summer and stored for winter use (The cost of this service is $0.0269 per therm.)
- Natural Gas Costs - the actual price we pay to purchase gas from suppliers, including the costs of interstate pipeline transportation and storage services (These charges vary each month with the market price of natural gas.)
Please note that WPS does not profit from the price of gas, which appears on your bill as Natural Gas Costs. This charge reflects the actual cost for gas.
Several factors can influence your monthly gas use. Major factors that can be measured by WPS are summarized in the lower left-hand corner of your monthly bill.