Wisconsin energy assistance

You or someone you know may be eligible for help with home heating bills. The Wisconsin Home Energy Plus Program provides energy assistance to help customers pay for winter heating. The amount of heating assistance benefit depends on the household's size, income and heating costs.

Income qualification is currently based on 60 percent of the state median income level during the past month. Apply online at energybenefit.wi.gov.

Who's eligible

You may qualify for assistance if your gross income for the last month is less than the amount shown below for your family size.

60% of state median income guidelines
Family size Monthly income
1 $2,490.08
2 $3,256.33
3 $4,022.50
4 $4,788.67
5 $5,554.83
6 $6,321.00
7 $6,464.67
8 $6,608.33

A few notes about energy assistance:

  • It's a one-time yearly benefit payment
  • Benefits are normally available Oct. 1 to May 15
  • You do not have to pay the money back
  • It is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating your home
  • Your heating assistance benefit may be sent directly to your fuel supplier

In addition to energy assistance, these assistance programs are also available:

  • Electric assistance (nonheating) helps eligible households pay a portion of nonheating electric energy costs.
  • Crisis assistance provides assistance to households that have no heat, received a disconnect notice from their heating fuel dealer, or are nearly out of heating fuel and do not have any way to pay for their heating needs. Proactive nonemergency assistance is also available through the entire year to avoid future emergencies.

Winter Weatherization program

In these difficult economic times, improving your home's energy efficiency can make a big difference. If you meet the energy assistance eligibility guidelines, you may also qualify for assistance in caulking, weather stripping and insulation.

For more information about applying for energy or weatherization assistance, contact the agency in your county or the Wisconsin Home Energy Plus Program at 866-432-8947 (866-HEAT-WIS).

County Agency Phone
Brown Department of Human Services 920-448-6460
Calumet Energy Services Inc. 920-464-1009
Door Door County Human Services 920-746-7155
Florence Department of Human Services 715-528-3296
Fond du Lac Energy Services Inc. 800-506-5596
Forest Energy Services Inc. 715-245-2400
Kewaunee Energy Services Inc. 800-506-5596
Langlade Department of Human Services 715-627-6500
Lincoln Department of Human Services 715-539-1344
Manitowoc Department of Human Services 920-683-4300
Marathon Energy Services Inc. 715-842-3111
Marinette Department of Human Services 715-732-7740
Oconto Department of Human Services 920-834-7000
Oneida Department of Human Services 715-362-5695
Outagamie Energy Services Inc. 800-506-5596
Portage Energy Services Inc. 715-344-5999
Shawano Department of Human Services 715-526-4740
Sheboygan Department of Human Services 920-208-5946
Vilas Department of Human Services 715-479-3668
Waupaca Energy Services Inc. 715-258-6820
Winnebago Energy Services Inc. 800-506-5596
Lac du Flambeau Tribal Office 715-588-4235
Mole Lake/Sokaogon Chippewa Tribe Contact your county agency
Oneida Nation Social Services 920-490-3939
Potawatomi Tribal Contact your county agency

If you are having trouble paying your bills, apply for energy assistance online at energybenefit.wi.gov or call us at 800-450-7260.