Power lines carry a lot of electricity and can be dangerous. Here are some important reminders to stay safe near power lines.
- Never touch overhead power lines with your hand or any object.
- Don't let anyone climb trees or fly toys near overhead power lines.
- If you see a down power line, call WPS at 800-450-7240.
- Never touch a down power line, even if you don't see sparks.
- If someone is touching a down power line, do not touch them.
- If you come across a car that's hit a utility pole, stay away; it may have a down power line on it.
- If you are inside a car that has a down line on it, call 911 and stay put until help arrives.
- If you have to leave the car for emergency reasons — such as a fire — jump out with both feet together, being certain to NEVER touch the car and the ground at the same time.